REPORTS TO: Library Director
POSITION SUMMARY: Plans, organizes, and supervises the activities of the Reference Department; develops and offers a variety programs and services to encourage library usage and to foster community relations; and assists library patrons in the use of library services, facilities, and equipment.
- Works with the Library Director to increase and enhance the overall impact of the Reference Department.
- Supervise, schedule, and lead department staff, including Senior Employment Workers.
- Assist library patrons in the use of library services, facilities, and equipment through regular work at the public reference desk.
- Assign and oversee collection development and maintenance of materials, including nonfiction, reference, periodicals, microfilm, federal documents, and electronic databases.
- Maintain and update the Pennsylvania law collection.
- Serve as Volunteer Coordinator by interviewing, selecting, assigning, training, and tracking library volunteers.
- Serve as Coordinator for the Ask Here PA reference chat service.
- Participates in the development of operating policies and procedures.
- Maintains collaborative relationships with internal and external contacts to develop and promote reference and information services.
- Participates in professional library organizations to remain current in field.
- Prepares statistical and narrative reports for the Director as needed.
- Participates in special projects as required or as necessary.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS:
- Master’s Degree in Library/Information Science from an ALA-accredited school and certification as a PA Professional Librarian, or ability to obtain upon hire.
- Minimum of three years relevant experience required.
- Strong capacity for leadership with demonstrated management experience.
- Proficiency with technology.
- Knowledge of the philosophy and functions of a public library, and ability to apply principles of library science to solve practical problems.
- Ability to connect and collaborate with community groups, library patrons, and co-workers.
- PA State Criminal Background Check, PA Child Abuse History Clearance, and FBI Fingerprint Criminal Background Check
- Ability to travel locally, regionally, and across the state as needed.
Strength and movement requirements
- Considerable walking in the work area
- Able to sit for long periods of time
- Able to lift or move 30 lbs
- Occasional crouching (bending of the knees)
- Stooping (bending at the waist) and reaching
Manual /physical dexterity requirements
- Able to manipulate a keyboard
- Able to manipulate other office equipment, such as photocopier, including filing paper trays
- Able to manipulate mouse or other input device (ex. Barcode scanner)
- Able to manipulate data cables, cords, or connections
Generous PTO policy and benefits package, 14 paid holidays, paid parental leave, short- and long-term disability coverage, retirement plan, paid training opportunities, and dedicated parking space.
Submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, ATTN: Director, or visit our indeed.com posting to apply online.