What is digital literacy, and why is it important?
“Digital literacy is the ability to use information and communication
technologies to find, evaluate, create, and communicate information,
requiring both cognitive and technical skills.”
-American Library Association Digital-Literacy Task Force
Northern Cambria Public Library recently opened its community digital literacy lab!
Recently, the Borough Council allocated $2,500-dollars, to the library which was also awarded an $11,000-dollar digital literacy and workforce development grant through the Pa. Department of Labor and industry. The library has put 100-percent of these funds into building a lab to provide a quiet, dedicated space for community members to learn how to use current technologies, and to access an array of digital library resources, such as career-building and job-search programs, test-prep and tutoring, government document depositories, and more. The objective of the Digital Literacy Lab is to provide the community access to tools and recourses necessary to navigate current workforces and improve overall digital literacy rates in Northern Cambria.
What’s in the lab?
The following is a short list of materials and resources available in the Digital Literacy Lab:
- 2 Laptops with cameras for video/web chats
- 2 iPads
- Headsets for quiet listening and video/audio conferences or recording
- 1 GoPro camera for video capture or video conferences
- 4 study pods
- 1 worktable
- Various STEAM, art, building, and science-exploration kits
- 1 Silhouette Portrait 3 cutting and etching machine
- Various software and apps from Microsoft Office desktop productivity (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), to video and audio editing and STEAM maker apps
- Access to Cambria County Library System’s Digital Resources
- 15 hrs/week dedicated staffing
Digital Literacy Help With Request A Librarian
Staffed Lab Hours Summer (Will change with seasons):
Mon. 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Weds. 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
Sat. 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
The staff at Northern Cambria Public Library are available to help with digital literacy support, including basic computer and internet use, help with new devices, and learning about the digital resources provided by our library. It is important to note that our staff cannot perform certain tasks, including data entry or graphic design. We are able to connect users to resources for help completing forms, designing artwork, and other needs; but cannot perform these tasks for you.
To get started, click here to fill out a request form (at the bottom of the page) and we will contact you to set up a 30 minute appointment.