Join our dedicated team to help our community
connect, discover, and thrive!
Highland Community Library is currently seeking a part-time Overdues Clerk.
Candidate should be friendly, welcoming, and personable, with a strong desire to help others and to work with the public. Empathy, creativity, and comfort with technology are important skills in this position. Candidate must be comfortable with independent, self-directed work and decision-making, as well as engaging positively and constructively among our small team. Excellent customer service and record-keeping skills are required.
Position Overview: Library clerks are responsible for all circulation duties, including direct patron assistance. The overdues clerk is responsible for all aspects of retrieving overdue materials and collecting associated fines and fees, up to and including legal hearings.
Monday 9:30 am – 2 pm
Tuesday 2 pm – 6 pm
Thursday 9:30 am – 2 pm
Alternating Fridays and Saturdays – hours between 8:30 am – 4 pm vary
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Process overdue notices, phone calls, and certified letters
- Contact collections for long overdue materials not returned
- File charges and attend hearings at district justice office
- Perform all circulation functions
- Assist patrons in person and by phone
- Responsible for opening and closing procedures
- Make and fulfill inter-library loan requests
- Shelf-reading, shelving books, and other shelf maintenance tasks
- Open incoming packages, check condition and match to invoice
- Update library displays and décor
- Process new items
- Check supplies, especially those related to item processing, and alert director when low
- Assist in various capacities with library programming, especially Summer Learning Program
- Other responsibilities as necessary
Qualification Standards: High School Diploma or equivalent required. Library, office, and/or customer service experience preferred.
- Pennsylvania State Police Background Check
- Pennsylvania Child Welfare Clearance
- FBI Fingerprint Clearance
Physical Demands and Requirements:
- Able to stand for extended periods of time
- Able to bend and stretch to reach high and low shelves
- Able to carry at least 15 pounds
- Able to push and pull book carts weighing 100 – 300 pounds
- Able to move furniture to set up and tear down for programs
- Able to manipulate a keyboard
- Able to manipulate other office equipment, such as photocopier, including filling paper trays
- Able to manipulate mouse or other input device (i.e., barcode scanner)
- Able to manipulate data cables, cords, and connections
To apply, visit the library to pick up an application. You may also email a resume or the completed application to Ashlee Kiel at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until Friday, April 2.