Now Hiring: Reference and YA Librarian
Cambria County Library is hiring a Reference and YA Librarian to serve the public, with a focus on Young Adult programs and services. Our library has recently been the recipient of several grants that are allowing us to renovate our Reference floor into a more dynamic, patron-centered experience. It’s an exciting time to join our Reference and Programming team!
About Cambria County Library
The Cambria County Library is centrally located on Main Street in Downtown Johnstown, PA. As the headquarters of the Cambria County Library System, the library serves a population of over 95,000 residents. Our dedicated staff provide a full range of services and activities designed for every age group, including early-childhood learning, teen reading and art clubs, and specialized genealogical research. We are committed to the success of our entire community through numerous agency partnerships that advance the health, education, cultural development, and overall wellbeing of the residents of Cambria County. The library was featured in the ALA Tour of American Libraries in 2020 for our work enhancing career readiness in the region. Cambria County Library is committed to providing benefits that empower lifelong careers with our organization.
Located 70 miles east of Pittsburgh, the city of Johnstown features a low cost of living and walkable Central Business District. The region offers numerous opportunities for outdoor recreation, the arts, and entertainment. The region also boasts many areas of cultural and historical significance. Numerous revitalization efforts are underway throughout the downtown area, making Johnstown a vibrant and welcoming place to live and work.
Full Job Description
POSITION: Reference / Young Adult Librarian
POSITION SUMMARY: Develop and maintain an engaging, multi-faceted approach to young adult services and engagement. Provide reference services to the general public.
REPORTS TO: Reference Supervisor
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The Reference Librarian starting salary range is $33,000 to $35,000 annually based on qualifications. Benefits include accrued paid time off up to 300 hours annually; 14 paid holidays a year; 6 weeks of paid parental leave; health insurance with HSA; vision and dental insurance; retirement plan with partial employer match; short-term and long-term disability insurance; and opportunities for paid professional development and continuing education.
- Provide prompt, courteous, and direct assistance to all patrons with basic information regarding use of library materials, equipment, and services, and in-depth information related to reference questions.
- Plan, implement, and evaluate engaging library programs, services, and resources for teens.
- Plan and participate in outreach and community engagement events, and maintains relationships with schools, community groups, agencies, and non-profits that serve youth.
- Identify, pursue, and manage grant funding to supplement teen programming.
- Maintain the library’s young adult collections through assisting with selection and weeding.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how items are shelved in periodical department in order to pull microfilm, newspapers and magazines as needed. Retrieve microfilm for patrons and assist them with using the microfilm readers as needed.
- Oversee the public’s ability to scan documents. Assist patrons who wish to scan documents for personal use. Assist with scanning of appropriate materials for inclusion in PA Photos and Docs.
- Perform miscellaneous duties such as sending faxes, scanning documents, making copies, answering the phone, operating the cash register, making change and handle credit card transactions.
- Create book displays, exhibits, bulletin boards, calendars, and other materials for teens and for the department on a monthly basis.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science
- Ability to demonstrate superior customer service for all ages, especially young adults
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong technology skills (social media, podcasting, etc.) and ability to curate content with and for teen patrons
- Experience working with teens
- PA State Criminal Background Check, PA Child Abuse History Clearance, and FBI Fingerprint Criminal Background Check
- Valid PA Driver’s License and vehicle.
- Ability to travel locally and regionally.
- Strength and movement requirements
- Considerable walking in the work area
- Ability to sit for long periods of time
- Ability to lift or move 30 pounds
- Occasional crouching (bending of the knees)
- Stooping (bending at the wait) and reaching
- Manual / physical dexterity requirements
- Ability to manipulate data cables, cords, or connections
- Ability to manipulate button and touch-screen operated equipment such as photocopier or telephone
- Ability to manipulate a library cart
Submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit our Indeed.com posting to apply online.